Military Jeep - Willys M38A1(1952-1971)
The Willys M38A1, or MD, was a four-wheel drive utility vehicle made by Willys from 1952 to 1971. It was widely procured by the U.S. military from 1952 until 1957, after which it was purchased by the U.S. Marine Corps and exported to foreign governments until the end of production in 1971.
The M38A1 was the first vehicle to feature the round fender design that would later become the distinguishing body style of the CJ-5 (part of the Universal CJ series).
Produced first in 1952, following the retirement of the M38 model, the M38-A1 was re-designed as an “stand-alone” improvement, featuring round front fenders, a contoured hood, a two-piece windshield, top mounted windshield wipers, and powered by the new “Hurricane” F-Head engine and Warner T90 transmission.
The M38A1 (referred to by Willys as the “MD”), like the M38, had a frame and suspension that was much stronger than its civilian sibling, the CJ-5.
The following information comes from the Department of the Army Technical Manual TM9-8014 dated April 1955.
TRUCK, UTILITY: 1/4 TON, 4 x 4
TRUCK, AMBULANCE: FRONT LINE
1/4 TON, 4 X 4, M170
Bring the old girl back to life with quality Willys Military Jeep Parts from Midwest Jeep Willys. We proudly support our troops and are proud to have parts to keep these Vintage Military Vehicles on the road. Parts for Willys MB, Ford GPW, M38, M38A1 & M151 Military Jeeps.
In general, the prescribed organizational maintenance responsibilities will apply as reflected in the allocation of tools and spare parts in the appropriate columns of the current ORD 7 supply manual pertaining to this vehicle and in accordance with the extent of disassembly prescribed in this manual for the purpose of cleaning, lubricating, or replacing authorized spare parts.
- Technical officiency
- Consumption level
- Full documentation
- New original parts
- Activity during the war
- Availability on the market